Friday 1 February 2019

Extended Practice - "Red and Green" 3D Tests/Failed Animatic

After  completing the thumbnails, it was time to move on to the storyboards and animatic portion of the process. For this, I wanted to storyboard in Toon Boom Storyboard Pro, as I had done on "Bedtime", the previous project I had worked on, but with 3D assets to assist me with this.


This is what that version of the animatic looked like, I tried to use the 3D elements to my advantage, but as it happened it took a lot longer to mix the 3D assets with hand drawn panels, therefore I went back to the Director and offered and alternative, in which I would hand draw the entire storyboard.


This was the alternative I gave the Director to show that it could look just as good if drawn 2D, to which he agreed, and I began the process completely hand drawn. Although, the program seemed to develop a problem in the update that happened around this time, where I was unable to see onion skin layers, and therefore it became an increasing pain to draw on to the board, as I was unable to see the previous frame.


As is shown here, in the top right corner, the onion skin is activated, however there is no layer appearing. After this I decided that it was just taking far too long to storyboard in this way, and I opted for a different approach yet again. This would mean taking longer with the storyboards, however it would greatly increase my work flow per day, as I wouldn't have to work around the technical problems.


This was what the animatic originally looked like, done in storyboard pro, as is shown here I got a decent way in to the process, however the workflow was just far too slow for my liking, and from this point I continued storyboarding from the beginning in Photoshop. I wanted to start from the beginning for consistency with the shots, as I would not doubt frame everything differently on a different program.

No comments:

Post a Comment