Friday 1 February 2019

Extended Practice - "Red and Green" Photoshop Storyboards

After my attempt with 3D and storyboard pro's technical issues, I decided to move on to Photoshop and start the boards again. I did not want to lose consistency within scenes therefore I determined it was just easier to start again.


Due to Photoshop's superior drawing functionality, this panel came out a lot clearer than in the Storyboard Pro version. At this point I had also seen the finished character designs, I was no longer working on the rough sketches, so the storyboards became a lot more on model with the final animation than the previous version had been. I continued in this way for the rest of the time storyboarding on this project. I knew I had added way more many frames than I needed for this board, and therefore decided to put what I had in to premier to see where I could improve on the following frames, and how I could increase my work flow. This is the test of that:


What became painstakingly obvious, was that I needed to decrease the amount of frames I was adding in to each scene, because it was making the flow of work a lot slower than it could be, and I was already behind in this storyboard, as I had already undergone some technical issues. I believe I did this effectively, and have now finished the storyboards for this project. Here is the final result, it is not timed therefore the movement is quite slow, however this is due to the Director asking for all of the panels so that he could time it himself. 



Overall, I am happy with how this storyboard came out, I believe it is readable, and the comedy is there, which was an important part of this project. Due to technical issues, it became a hassle in the middle, but I pulled it back quite well, and was only a couple of days behind my original schedule with where I wanted this board to be. In future I will try and test the elements I am unsure of on a separate document before starting on the final thing, and to make sure I can do what I set out to do. My workflow greatly increased when moving to Photoshop, so that overall I was working on these storyboards for a total of 8 days, which was a bit longer than the previous project. 

My next project is a 2D animated music video, so I will use what I have learned from the last three storyboards to make sure I make a decent storyboard on schedule. I have a bit more time to play with in this next one as it is my last outsourcing project to work on. 





No comments:

Post a Comment