Wednesday 1 February 2017

Rocket, Lizard, French Wha....t?!

Visual Language

We were given a new brief this week, for "Visual Language" where we are required to make 24 or so sketch like drawings all relating to 1 word. On hearing this, my initial thoughts were "easy" and "awesome", and even when people started to get their words, I continued in this thinking. People around me were given "lizard" and "Rocket" and "Flower", all great things to base a sequence of drawings from. Little did I know, when it got to me, my word was "French Horn". Honestly my thoughts on this are that I have been cheated, and I have never been so confused by a brief in my life. Instantly my motivation for this topic has been halted, and I would much prefer to work on my animation skills. However, it needs to be done, so I have been trying to think about the different ways in which I can interpret the 2 words, not in a literal sense, but treating them as separate words. My other thinking is that I can try and relate the instrument of French Horn to myself and my interests somehow.

Firstly, I made the mind map (shown above) to try and kick star my brain into thinking of something. When I think of French Horn, I think of Orchestra, which immediately makes me think of A) The Tom and Jerry episode where they fight over who conducts the orchestra, and B) Movie Music, the French Horn must have been used to make some of the deep sounds in a movie's score before. This type of thinking helped me to take a grasp on the situation a little, although not completely, and I am still unsure of where to take this project next. I started out by doing some quick sketches of what I thought about, which ended up being a Storm Trooper using a French Horn Instrument, and a French Bull with the French Flag wrapped around his horn. Unsure as of yet where I am going to take this next.

No comments:

Post a Comment