Wednesday 15 March 2017

Forming an Idea

I know at this point that I want to play off of the idea of Neighbours, so my first task I set for myself, was writing a believable plot with a twist at the end which is both slapstick and yet unexpected by the audience. I decided that this skit will be based on the demographic of PG to 12A as it is cartoon violence which is viewed as more lenient than live action.

The Plot

The Plot I want is going to revolve around a middle aged, "average joe" type character who will be having a BBQ on a warm day, when a series of balls fly over the fence and hit him in the back of the head as he becomes increasingly angered. Originally I wanted to have one of the balls burn his face on the BBQ, however I decided this wouldn't add anything to the animation, and would therefore be superfluous as it wouldn't be a funny addition. Therefore I wanted the twist to be a cut to a small kid over the other side of the fence, who is playing in his back garden, when the BBQ comes flying over the fence and continues to crush the child. Clearly, a morbid/slapstick ending to the animation. I want to play with some ideas including whether or not the BBQ should set on fire after hitting the kid, adding an extra punchline over the top of the twist. My concerns are that this would only be funny to me, and not to other people, so I will continue with this idea for now and see what the reaction is form my peers after I have produced a sufficient storyboard and animatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment