Wednesday 15 March 2017

Make em Laugh

New Brief

For our new brief, we have been asked to make a 25 second "humorous" animation. Immediately after hearing this, you have to start from the bottom, so I thought the best thing to do was find out what makes something humorous, what is comedy, what makes it up, and how can I make an animation funny. Just from my own thoughts, I would say the things that make up comedy, and humour, is how the joke is formatted, who it is intended for, this includes both age, and general demographic. For example I could not make an animation for the age range of 5 - 10 with vulgar language and a lot of violence, because it just wouldn't be appropriate. In my opinion, it is best off deciding who I want my animation to be intended for, before I actually start formulating an idea, so I need to look into age demographics and decide what I can show and joke about in my chosen age range.

In the UK, for cinema and TV we have age ratings. These age ratings are U, PG, 12A, 12, 15 and 18. These mean particular things, and guide what can be in a Film, trailer, or TV show.

The first is U: U means Universal, so it is suitable for everyone, this is especially apparent in kids movies. There can be no reference to Discrimination, Drugs, Violence or Sex in a film which is classed as U, due to needing to be suitable for all and younger viewers may find any of these things disturbing or imitate what they see on screen.

The next class is PG: This means Parental Guidance, PG is usually suitable for the age of 8 or older, and it is advised that children are accompanied to see something of this nature, the classification is more lenient, with some references to drugs so long as there is a clear anti drug message, and only minor violence.

12 and 12A: These are more or less the same, with 12A being the more tame of the 2, both allow moderate violence and references to things such as drugs and sex but not too infrequently and it cannot promote indecent behaviour. 12A means that people under 12 can view the movie but only if accompanied by someone over the age of 18.

15: 15 is a steady between 12 and 18 movies. A 15 allows pretty much everything as long as it is not too graphic about what it shows and as long as there is minimal gore and injury. There is no bar for drug use and sexual behaviour, as long as it is not too graphic.

18: an 18 is the final age rating, and allows all references to drugs, sex and violence, because it requires you be an adult to see the movie in the first place, these films are for more mature viewers.


From early thinking, I believe I want my animation to be in the age rating of PG and 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment