Saturday 9 March 2019

Extended Practice - Background Specs

After finishing my thumbnails, it had come to my attention that I had not yet found a background artist. I searched around for a little while, looking towards people in the year below, before I found a talented background artist who I thought could carry out the work I wanted doing efficiently. After making a quick correspondence through Instagram she agreed to do some backgrounds for me, and we had a brief discussion of specifics. As with all people who have worked on my project, I sent a brief pack to her detailing the type of thing I wanted. This pack looked like this:








I tried to accumulate everything I had so far into a cohesive pack which could be obvious to anyone looking at it. Obviously because I have a lot of stuff to be getting on with it needed to be something she could get on with confidently. She was nice enough to make a quick test of what she had taken from the brief pack. I used this quick test, as well as the first proper character image to form together a proof of concept to figure out the colour choices for the character which was still not finalised at the point the test was made.


This was the first proof of concept I put together. I was incredibly happy with how the background looked. The shading was impressive and the composition was also exactly what I was looking for. Although I am incredibly happy with the character looks, I felt this initial colour pass of the character was a bit too mismatched with the background, and he did not quite fit in the way I wanted him to.


Proceeding this, I went into Photoshop and added some colour layers and some shading to make him fit a bit more aesthetically with the backgrounds. I feel like this version is a bit more cohesive with the background colour palette. The harsher shading I added to the character also adds to him being a bit more inclusive with the background colour choices. I sent this back to the character designer on my project so that he could make the character sheets using colours similar to this. It will probably differ to the colours here as this was a quick test just for the sake of cohesion.

No comments:

Post a Comment