Saturday 9 March 2019

Extended Practice - Post Work Experience Re-evaluation

After completing my 3 day work experience at Brown Bag Films, I had received a lot of advice from industry professionals that had caused me to take a step back from my personal project and look at my practice from a new perspective. I felt that my storyboard did not reflect my skills as a storyboard artist, and the story was overlong and did not showcase what exactly I wanted to show in this film. My goal was to create a storyboard where the action was clear and dynamic, and the story was clear through the movement of the camera and character action. However I had included a sequence which had unnecessary exposition which ultimately took away from the storyboard I wanted to make. 

Following on from this I decided it would be best to make a storyboard driven animation, which relied heavily on the storyboard, as opposed to the script. I would use the same script however I would heavily alter the shot choices and angles to create a more readable storyboard. Originally I had planned to have my storyboard finished by this point, however as storyboarding is my focus, I decided to push my schedule back a week in order to take more time editing and making a storyboard I am happy with. During this time I have let my background and character designers about the set back, and will continue to develop my story into a more cohesive storyboard that is reflective of what I can do. 

My first step here was to re- thumbnail the whole board to create a completely new shot list. I have completely scrapped the first section as it does nothing to carry the story or add to the fight scene, and is unnecessary in being there. This has brought my schedule down a lot as it is a lot less to animate. My new time code is hopefully going to be about 45 - 55 seconds. This is to account for just the fight scene section and nothing else. 




These are the updated thumbnails which I created for my project, the process was more or less the same with notes, crosses and suggestions made next to each panel so that I knew I was making the best shot I could possibly make.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment